Wednesday, April 1, 2009

1. Chapman describes people in Islamic cultures who flock to gawk at the misfortunes of others. Americans are also fascinated, even entertained, by others’ problems and misfortunes. How do you account for the causes of our fascination with others’ misfortunes. Give one example of this phenomenon as it relates to the Chapman essay, and then explain why you think people are so attracted to the troubles of others’ misfortunes. Consider linking Stephen King’s Why We Crave Horror Movies (p. 397) for some insights into this morbid human tendency.


I account for the causes of fascination with others misfortunes because I will admit that I love to watch the news and watch live feed of court happenings even when the outcome is bad. Everyone craves drama in their lives whether they admit it or not. That is the reason that reality t.v. is most popular now days. One of the most popular shows on VH1 is the celebrity rehab. People love watching all the misfortunes and hard times in these famous peoples lives. Also, my ALL TIME FAVORITE SHOW is Dr. Phil. I find it so interesting that so many people have issues in their lives and I like to know more about things I never experience in my life. Another great example is the television show Maury. My friends and I love watching all the episodes of "15 Men Tested and Still No Father" or "I Have Been Cheating On You with Your Mother". The shows are so ridiculous that you just have to watch!
maury Pictures, Images and Photos

7 comments:

  1. I agree that everyone like a juicy drama story every now and then, but I wouldn't necessarily connect a craving for drama with a craving for violence. I think they're both on two completely different levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true. People tend to like watching bid news better than good news. I personally like seeing people get hurt, that's why I like watching AFV America’s funniest home videos. I guess other people's misfortunes do provide a certain level of entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE MAURY!! So I do agree with you. I believe that the ones who do not commit the crime, are the ones that love to watch it. Maybe with that kind of exposure to craziness and misfortune, the "normal" people get their dose and don't need to go out and commit the crimes themselves. Kind of like with horror films, but with crimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you say you like seeing what you don't experience. Personally, I don't like those shows, but every once in a while, it really is interesting to watch those shows. Drama shows are the same thing. I'm sure they don't just make that script up, it must come from experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you of how we crave these television programs for our entertainment, I think they are our equivalent of the Islamic public flogging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You provide some good details. Everyone does crave drama, and these tv shows give it to the public.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's why people are so attracted to reality television. People like watching others suffer. Don't forget to put a title and your name to the post.

    ReplyDelete