Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Prisoner's Dilema-blog post

2. Chapman states, “Almost no one contends any more that prisons rehabilitate their inmates. If anything, they probably impede rehabilitation by forcing inmates into prolonged and almost exclusive association with other criminals”(374). Do some research on recent developments in criminal rehabilitation and argue for or against the claim that rehabilitation of prisoners is a futile goal.

I completely agree with Chapman. I did some research and couldn't find much information on rehabilitation regarding Iran's punishment systems, but in America, only 35% of inmates don't return to prison after being released! That's ridiculous. I would imagine Iran's rate being smaller considering 226/100,000 people are punished or imprisoned in some way while our statistics are much higher at 509/100,000. We obvioulsy aren't doing a good enough job at rehabilitating prisoners if the keep coming back.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you, I think it is crazy that we are putting these prisoners away and they some come back worse than they were before because of the experiences they went through in jail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting statistics. I don't know why the rehabilitation doesn't work on inmates. One might think that, given the conditions of state prisons, one would never want to return. But hey, maybe they like incarceration?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, only 35%?! I agree with you, I don't think that our way rehabilitation works. If it did work then criminals would learn their lesson and not have the mindset that 'Oh well if I get caught I'll just spend a few years in jail... No Big'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some strong details. i'm pretty sure no one really knew about that in Iran. Good job on the research.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good stats to back up your claim, Mary.

    ReplyDelete