Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Blog 3 -- Lisa Melchiorre

This topic reminds me of this specific commerical that played often on tv:


1. Thesis: "There are three things the bystander must do...notice...interpret... and decide that he has personal responsibility..." pg. 418 6th paragraph
2. "It's a rare traveler who, in picking a roadside restaurant, chooses to stop at one where no other cars appear in the parking lot."
This quote makes sense, not unless you are an adventurous person who isn't afraid of anything I don't think that you'd stop in at a place where no one else is not unless you've been there many times before and are comfortable with the place. I know that if there aren't more than 2 cars somewhere I most likely won't go to that place, not unless I had a large group of people with me, because then it makes things more comfortable and less awkward.
3. http://www.kpho.com/news/18637301/detail.html#- this is a story of how a bystander stopped a robber & carjacker from getting away.
4. I know that the bystander effect happens constantly. For example, in a classroom when no one else raises their hand to answer a question, you tend to shy away from being the odd man out by raising your hand. Also, when you are with a group of friends somewhere and you all have a question about how something works, but no one wants to ask a person who works there. I know I am always the first person to shy away from standing up and saying "I'll go ask the question, what is it?"

6 comments:

  1. the commercial shows how one good deed can lead to multiple different ones. the bystander effect is a big part of why no one will help either, or raise their hand in class as you stated

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this commercial. I want to do good deeds just because of it. It is true one good deed leads to another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never seen that commercial. Quite touching and the song that goes with it is very effective. It sort of restores our faith in human beings doing the right thing, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with Mrs. Bolduc-Simpson it is totally the domino effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to mention, Lisa, that you missed the thesis statement. It's a constructive argument. The answer to the question of why people don't help in a crisis is at the end of the essay in the conclusions section of lessons learned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missed the thesis but, the video was a great touch to the post and made me want to read your blog, great post thanks.

    ReplyDelete