Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Joey Guarnaccia Blog 3

2) Interpret and explain in your own words the authors’ statement, “It’s a rare traveler who, in picking a roadside restaurant, chooses to stop at one where no other cars appear in the parking lot” (419).

To me this quote means that it takes a special person to be able disregard what the whole group is doing and try something new and different. In this quote, its like the rare traveler is taking a chance with the empty restaurant. Do not always be a follower. I remember my Dad would always use to tell me not to be a settler. It meant not to settle for what everyone else is doing, separate yourself from the group, sprint when everyone else is jogging. He would relate this to baseball a lot and it has helped me this whole time growing up. With out people seperating themselves we would not have much of variety in the world.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the way you turned this quote around and used it as an example of your own life experience. The rare traveler also seems to have less to loose. He is open and willing to take chances on something that is "out of the norm." He is not willing to conform to the rest of the group but wants to be set apart from the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you told how this quote was relative to something in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not being a settler is something like what my dad use to tell me too, but he told me to not be a follower which is pretty much the same thing. The explanation of this quote definitely defines it correctly but your were supposed to answer all four questions.

    ReplyDelete