Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Blog Post 3

2) Interpret and explain in your own words the authors’ statement, “It’s a rare traveler who, in picking a roadside restaurant, chooses to stop at one where no other cars appear in the parking lot” (419).

This statement from the author can be interpreted into someone playing "follow the leader." I beleive that he is trying to say that whenever a passer-by is looking for a place to eat, they are more likely to choose the place that looks more popular, which is usually the one with more cars in the parking lot. The author is attempting to relate this "follow the leader" mentality to the answer to Why People Don't Help in a Crisis. He is saying that people tend to become more alert if others are also in a state of panic. It is a very sad thing that people have come to looking to others on whether or not they should help out someone in need. I hope the author is mistaken in this statement because I can never see myself walking by someone who needs medical assistance or who is being attacked by someone or something.

4 comments:

  1. Logan, I agree that it is truely sad that we have resorted to a "follow the leader" mentality when it comes to helping people in a crisis and I also think that he means that the "rare traveler" is the rare bystander that helps too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you. It really is sad that people can't help out. It happened to me just recently. I was in a car accident on the interstate. I rolled the car and only one person stopped after seeing it. I guess I am lucky I had at least one "rare traveler".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job answering the quote question. You needed to answer the other three questions, too. Yikes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Answered the quote question very accurately and following the leader is what most people tend to do but you didn't answer the other questions...

    ReplyDelete