Wednesday, March 18, 2009

blog post 3 by nick peters

The thesis is at the opening of the story, “If we look closely at the behavior of witnesses to these incidents, the people involved begin to seem less inhuman and a lot more like the rest of us. They are not indifferent." The author is using the traditional argument approach. The statement means that no one will go to a place that is empty, people will go to a place if it is packed and if they have to wait to go there, rather than being the only person there. Some will believe that the restaurant will have bad food, or might even be dangerous to go to. http://www.week.com/news/local/41458402.html A woman was putting her bags in her trunk and was met by a man punching her to almost certain death, he stole her keys and as he began to back up and almost hit her, she was pushed out of the way by another woman who heard her screams for help moments after the man began to pummel her. This shows that some people do have some sense of goodness in them. Anytime during a soccer game someone will get seriously hurt at one point or another, sometimes there will be a teammate that will help, sometimes everyone will just look at the person and expect others to do something. I have done my fair share of both, but if no one goes to his aid, whether I know the person or not, I will give a helping hand.

3 comments:

  1. I do the same exact thing on a soccer field. Sometimes I can just feel their pain, and I know if that was me I would want someone to help me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on the post, Nick. You missed the thesis. The authors were developing a constructive argument. If you look at the title, "Why People Don't Help in a Crisis?" they answer that question in the last section Lessons Learned. That is where the thesis is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thesis is actually at the end of the lessons but, other than that great post and you definitely made a good post.

    ReplyDelete