Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Blog 2 Andrew Corke


Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Glenn Beck, Laura Ingraham and Rush Limbaugh screaming in my head. Reading this made me think of the main reason I hate to visit home. My Grandma has lived with us in our house since 1994. She is now 88 years old and she is extremely bias.  She Is also is hard of hearing, I don’t know if it is because of the radio she sits next to all day blaring on 100 volume or of old age. She is completely right wing to the point she is like radical talk show host’s who wont take one minute to hear the other side’s opinion. I try to speak reason to her but she believes such things as “Obama is going to turn America into Africa and we will be fighting with spears” and “Obama is going to jail all the whites”. So when Tannen mentioned “the age of blue and red states” it pertained to me directly. I have heard the screaming of these radical republican talk show hosts for 16 years. All of my best friends, my 3 roommates, my boss and my coworkers are Democrats so I also hear the other side of the argument, things such as “Obama will save the world”. I am an artist, and when it pertains to these maters I try my best to be neither red or blue but grey. I realize these either “red or blue” sides has been a part of us since the creation of this country with the Federalist and the Anti-Federalist’s, but it is clearly evident of “the appetite for the rise in polarization, conflict, and argument” today in America. I have sat and listened to Mark Levin take a liberal caller and freak out at them on the phone before they have even uttered a word; then disconnect them, yelling “Get out of here you stupid Idiot” as soon as they start talking. I believe this environment that I grew up in ultimately shaped who I am today, I completely hate arguing and rather take the compromising approach to these issues. 

2 comments:

  1. Very nice picture! I really like the political boxing match between the dem and rep. I definately think that polarization, conflict and argument are evident in our nation's politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your graphic, too, Andrew. Thanks for sharing so much of your background to explain your approach to issues. Maybe we can redefine Rogerian argument and call it Corkian argument strategy.

    ReplyDelete