Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Black Talk Origins

2) The short video basically went over the origins of black vernacular. Black talk originated in the US during the eighteenth century when slavery was at its peak. The slaves would speak English but blend native African and Elizabethan into their speech. The language known as gulla, drops the word "is" and replaces doesn't with don't. It also consists of different grammatical features. Whites had always thought that the black slaves were not capable of speaking English because they did not speak all of the words. When in fact, they were merely adding to it.

"How has black vernacular shaped the slang you use in your conversations with your peers?"
I really think that black vernacular has shaped the way I speak with my peers. I have always noted that the majority of African Americans speak differently than myself and have wondered why. I had always though that the reason was because they were unintelligent or just simply chose to. In most cases, I avoid black terminology because I feel uneducated if I speak it. I do from time to time throw in some terminology to be funny or when I’m joking around. What everyone else might call a “grilled cheese,” in my family, we call it a cheese toastie.

3 comments:

  1. most people do stay away from "black talk" when they are speaking to each other, while some may use certain words to make it easier and faster to communicate, especially on the computer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people just like talking slang around people they know real well. When people text, or communicate online they like to use slang or cut words to make their lives easier. I tend to talk somewhat cut or slang at times, but in the workplace, school, or formal places with people I don't know much, I automatically swtich it up to normal English. I think as long as the person does know how to speak proper English, then he/she may speak how they want around friends, but should try to speak as best as possible when around people they do not know or in the workplace. I work at bestbuy and when I speak english or spanish I try my best to hide my accents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is indeed about formal vs. informal language and context. I don't see why you would try and conceal your accent. There is no such thing as Standardized English, you know.

    ReplyDelete