Wednesday, April 8, 2009

black talk by nick peters

2. Watch this video about the origins of African-American English. Savran says, "White people (and not just the young) draw from a black lexicon every day, sometimes unaware of the words' origins, sometimes using them because of their origins" (194). Summarize the information in the video and respond to the question, "How has black vernacular shaped the slang you use in your conversations with your peers?"Savran's essay focuses on black talk, but there are many other subgroups of American English. Regional dialects have their own special words and phrases. What special words or phrases from your regional dialect do you use in your conversations with your friends and family members?

The video is stating that black talk is english, just mixed with elizabethan and other types of english. there are many sub genres all over, and each vary slightly. Black vernacular has not really shaped my conversation with peers since I try staying away from anything that others would not understand. sLang that I use is common slang that my age group has grown up hearing. I tend to stay away from it however, since I find it unintelligent to speak or to even hear. I a person cannot pronounce a word properly, that just means they are to lazy and must make up a word to fill in for it. I don't really have any special words or phrases, but I was grown up on the word ya'll instead of you all, but it is a very common word around southern people

2 comments:

  1. I disagree. I talk with a southern accent myself and because of some of the people I grew up with I might also be hard to understand. But its not being lazy, it's just hard trying to remember that not everyone talks the way you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black vernacular has shaped your language without you even knowing it. If you say gumbo, banana, and cool, you have been shaped by black vernacular.
    Proofread your work, Nick. It needs punctuation and capitalization if you want people to see you as intelligent and articulate.

    ReplyDelete