Thursday, February 26, 2009

Jessica Simpson Used to Boost Sales Commercial by Chad Isenhart

So basically, advertising is absolutely everywhere! (well at least here in the US) I sometimes find it very annoying. All I ever hear or see is buy this, subscribe to this, come here, rent me and so on. There are so many different ways that companies use propaganda to entice the public to buy their product or service. One of the ways, which I find to be most pathetic, is the testimonial type. Testimonial propaganda is the "...most-loved and most-used propaganda techniques (McClintock)." It "...capitalizes on the admiration of people have for a celebrity to make the product shine more brightly (McClintock)." A lot of companies and firms use this form because it is highly effective. Well liked celebrities and stars can sell anything to the unsuspecting public. All it takes is for someone to see someone else they love using a product and it's sold! Well Michael Jordan wears Hanes underwear and hes was a pro athlete, so if he find them confortable than I will too. Wrong. Well maybe not. Just because he is considered the best basketball player ever, you don't have to agree with him on underwear preference. All I'm saying is that I think it's downright stupid to use something or buy something just because a loved star did the same thing.
Jessica Simpson is probly one of the most beautiful women. In the video clip she uses her own testimony to sell an acne treatment. Everyone knows who she is and when they see the advertisement they'll be hooked. They might think, well Jessica is so beautiful and if she trust that product than I definately will. Or, Jessica risked this product on her beautiful face so I might as well. People suffering from acne will see how beautiful her skin is from using this treatment and will buy it because they want the same results.

2 comments:

  1. I loved your voice with the tinge of satire. There were a few more techniques in this Jessica Simpson commercial that I noticed. "Now's your chance." "Order now." It was much more than a testimonial technique. Give me her face and I'll suffer through the acne is what I say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to tell you to edit your blog for typos. There are lots!!

    ReplyDelete