Wednesday, February 25, 2009

SHOE CIRCUS Brad Duffy

I could not tell you why I like this add, but I think its Jerry Seinfeld. Microsoft's attempts at marketing Vista are well, lacking in the THIS ADD IS ABOUT VISTA department. If you watch the Apple vs. Mac ads, its clear what Mac is a hip young cool computer, and Windows is boring and old. This add really just goes to further prove the point. Bill Gates buys shoes at the Shoe Circus and Jerry Seinfeld comes in to make sure he is really getting his money's worth. Gates pays with his rewards card just like you and I would do.

If the point of this ad were to explain that Gates buy shows from the discount store down the road just like you and I, then job well done. I felt like the writers aimed this add to explain that Microsoft is making software for the AVERAGE person. WHO WANTS TO BE AVERAGE??? Sure buying the Apple laptop is not going to make you different from the other 3 million Apple laptops, but the marketing that has been to portray Apple as hip and cool, has stuck for almost 40 years. Microsoft tried to bring the idea that even someone like Bill Gates is just like you and I, and he uses Windows, but it still doesn't help me think that Windows is any better then yesterday. As far as I am concerned, I now think Bill Gates is to cheap to buy real leather shoes, and with the money and power available to him....that's pathetic.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't seen that one. Seinfeld is one of my favorite stand up comedians. I'm not sure how effective the commercial was in selling Microsoft to consumers.
    You didn't mention who you are and you didn't mention any of the techniques mentioned in the McClintock article. I was hoping for some links in your analysis.
    Can you edit this post and include your name and the title of your post like in some of the other examples?

    ReplyDelete