Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mac vs. PC Commercial Analysis by Lisa Melchiorre


The commercials of a Mac vs. a PC have been around for the past few years. This one in particular appeals to college students today as well as seniors in high school because of it’s use of cheerleaders and how the Mac is a young famous actor (Justin Long) and the PC is an older gentleman. The younger man versus the older gentleman already makes it seem that the Mac is the younger, more hip item to purchase. This commercial uses the bandwagon technique of propaganda as well as glittering generalities. The PC states how the Mac is the “Number 1 notebook on college campuses”, which makes those seniors in high school and other college students join the crowd to purchase a Mac for college. That statement also allows the Mac to create a positive outlook on its product because it seems that so many college students use a Mac for their academic adventure.

3 comments:

  1. These commercials are indeed very popular. I didn't even know that the younger actor was famous.
    If would be interesting to see statistics on whether the Mac is the "Number 1 notebook on college campuses."
    Brad Duffy might have the answer to this question because of the research he has done on Macs vs. PCs. I'm an old fart who has a PC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that I was one of those seniors in high school who wanted a Mac for college and I got one lol. I know that there are a lot of colleges where their main computer on campus are Macs. There are even some high schools with them just because they are easier to work with for the Newspaper and Yearbooks.
    Also, for my 13th birthday my parents took a friend and I to NYC and on the subway we saw Justin Long and he could see through the reflection that my friend and I were staring at him. So before he got off he came to our side of the subway shook our hands and introduced himself. [He's been in Dodgeball, Crossroads, and a movie that just came out: He's just not that into you]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I could tell you here at FGCU, Apple does not dominate. These ads are always a little off, and although i love my mac, I also have a vista machine because I never know what runs native on OSX, and what runs native on Windows, technology is like a giant game, and the more you try to understand the less you actually know.

    ReplyDelete